This is the blog of journalist, Lonely Planet author and photographer Stuart Butler. It features news and travel updates from the regions in which Stuart works, including northeast Africa (Kenya, Ethiopia and Sudan), Yemen and Sri Lanka.


Monday 27 June 2011

Europes 50 Best Beaches

Basil Fawlty; the man who made Torquay great.

The Independent newspaper in the UK recently asked me to be a panellist alongside Simon Calder (the Independents travel guru) and Emma Gregg (Rough Guide author to various African and European destinations - and here I'm going to deviate somewhat and recall how a couple of years ago Emma and I met by chance in a small port in the beautiful Cape Verde Islands. We were both working on guidebooks to the islands at the time and both needed to catch a ferry from one island to another the next day. The problem was the ferry was full and no tickets were available  - unless that was you were willing to go dodgy, in which case a man in a cowboy hat could magically conjure up some fake, black market tickets. One of us was honest and didn't want to do the government out of some money. One of us wasn't honest but did sail away into the sunset on a ferry... I will leave you to guess who was the dishonest one!). Anyway, I digress. I was asked to be a panellist for the Independent for a feature about Europe’s 50 Best Beaches and beach resorts which came out a couple of days ago (25th June 2011). I should make clear that not all the places I nominated were included in the list. In fact my top two beach destinations; Moliets on the coast of Les Landes in southwest France and San Sebastian in the Spanish Basque country, didn't make the list (although Torquay in the UK did which just goes to show that you shouldn't believe everything you read!! Sorry, only joking Torquay; you're great really!).

Anyway here is a link to the online version of the feature and when my brain gets big enough to work out how to do it I'll post up the pdfs of the complete feature. http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/europe/the-50-best-european-beach-breaks-2301463.html


1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing information of best 50 European beach. I watched link shared by you. This post is quite useful for me. Many thanks to you!
    Route perfect

    ReplyDelete